Ecuadorian Empadas Recipe
Provided by Ecuadorian mom, veteran wife, and Spanish Playdates founder, Ana Gallegos-Yavorsky.
Recipe for Ecuadorian wind empanadas, these delicious fried empanadas have a cheese or cheese filling and are served sprinkled with sugar.
- 15 medium disks or 25 small disks for fried empanadas - you can use this recipe or the frozen disks from the supermarket.
For the homemade fried empanadas dough:
- 3 cups (15 ounces or 425 grams) of wheat flour (all-purpose)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of sugar - optional (if you want to give the dough a slightly sweet taste)
- 4 ounces (113 grams) of butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) orange juice
- 2/3 cup of mineral water with or without bubbles
To fill and fry the empanadas:
- 2 ½ cups shredded or shredded cheese (you can use mozzarella, monterrey jack, Oaxaca cheese or any cheese that is good to melt, or a cheese mix according to your taste)
- Optional: 1 cup white onion or pearl onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup of sugar to sprinkle
- Frying oil
For the homemade fried empanadas dough:
- Mix the flour, salt, sugar (if you wish to add), and baking powder in the food processor
- Add the butter cut into pieces and mix well
- Add orange juice and mineral water, add 1/2 cup of water to start and the rest little by little. The dough is ready when small balls of dough are formed
- If you do not have a food processor, to make the pie dough by hand, follow the same instructions to mix everything together using your hands. Use your hands to incorporate and mix all the ingredients (in the same order as indicated in the recipe), work the dough until a smooth dough is obtained. You can add additional water if the dough is dry or a little oil if the dough is sticky.
- Form a ball with the dough and work the dough for a few minutes
Put the dough in a bowl, use your hands to smear it with a little oil, cover it, and let it stand at room temperature for an hour.To make the discs or rounds of the empanadas, two methods can be used, the first is to stretch the dough using a roll until a thin layer is obtained and cut round for the empanadas of the size you want (you can use round molds, a small plate or a cup). The other option is to form small balls of dough (between 1.5 to 2 ounces each) and then use the roll or a tortilla press to stretch the dough and give it a round shape - it doesn't need to be perfectly round. It is important that the dough is very finite because when it is fried it has to be cooked very quickly - there are some who also pass the dough or the discs through the pasta maker to make it super thin.
- The empanadas discs can be used immediately to form the empanadas, or you can store them in the refrigerator or freezer until you use them.
To assemble and fry the empanadas:
- Mix the cheese and the white onion.
- Put a spoonful of the previous mixture in the center of each lid or disk.
- Fold the covers and seal the edges by pressing gently with your fingers, then use a fork to seal the edges, then use your fingers to twist and bend the outside of the edge, and finally use the fork again to finish sealing them.
- Refrigerate the empanadas for at least one hour so that they are sealed properly.
- Heat the oil in a pan or in an electric fryer, if you are going to fry the empanadas in a pan, be sure to add enough oil to at least cover half of the pie.
- When the oil is very hot, add the empanadas and fry them until they are completely golden brown, approximately one minute per side (in the pan you have to turn them, while in the fryer it is not necessary).
- Put the empanadas on paper towels so that the fat is absorbed.
- Sprinkle the empanadas with sugar and serve immediately.
Like the recipe? Be sure to listen to Episode 2 of The Latina Mom Legacy Podcast to listen to our full interview with Ana Gallegos-Yavorsky.
Receta Para Empanadas Ecuatorianas
Prevista por mamá Ecuatoriana, esposa de un veterano, y fundadora de Spanish Playdates , Ana Gallegos-Yavorsky.
Receta para las empanadas de viento ecuatorianas, estas deliciosas empanadas fritas llevan un relleno de quesillo o queso y se sirven espolvoreadas con azúcar.